Head Start New Barnet
Day Nursery & Preschool
54 Station Road
Monday – Friday: 07:30 – 18.30
Drop-Off Directions & Parking
The nursery is located on Station Road, between High Barnet Tube Station and New Barnet Mainline Station. It is a 6-minute walk to the nursery via Station Road from New Barnet Station.
We are in easy access of both the M25 and M1 motorways and street parking is available on the main road outside the nursery. There is a small car park and space in front of the nursery for safe drop off/pick up.
Head Start New Barnet
Head Start New Barnet, rated Good by Ofsted, offers a warm and friendly welcome where children from 3 months to 5 years enjoy inspirational learning experiences.
Our fabulous nursery has a wonderful team of Early Years practitioners with a wealth of experience in providing quality care and education.
We promote parent partnerships and provide daily updates and photos about your child’s routine and activities, so you have wonderful memories of their time with us.
It’s a big, exciting world out there and we want to nurture children’s curiosity so they quite literally, have a head start as they take their next steps in life.
Nappy Wipes & Cream
We will provide nappies, wipes and nappy cream.
We have on-site parking available for easy access and convenience.
We have a safe place for you to store your buggy at our nursery.
We have CCTV installed within the nursery to ensure the safety and security of all our children and staff.
Meals & Snacks
We provide healthy meals and snacks as well as fresh water and milk. Our menus are seasonal and are certified by a children’s dietician ensuring the right balance of ingredients for the children. All dietary requirements are catered for by our professional chefs.
Our outdoor space offers an environment to explore and develop and provides a place where imagination comes to life.
Fees & Availability
Nursery fees are dependent on the age of your child and your specific childcare requirements. Funding options are available, including the government’s 30 hours funded childcare, for working families with 3-4-year-old children and we also accept the Government Tax Free Childcare Scheme and childcare vouchers. To request pricing and availability, please call us or complete the request a call back form below.
How we learn at Head Start Day Nursery
- Our Baby room offers the perfect place for children to begin their nursery journey
- We offer as many settling in sessions as you and your child need to feel safe and happy in a new environment. This is the start of us building a long-standing relationship with your family, ensuring secure bonds between child and nursery team
- We offer a stimulating environment and a variety of resources for our babies to explore develop and discover through play
- We promote sensory play from a very young age, helping children to make sense of the world by connecting what they see, hear, smell, touch, and feel
- In our reading corner the children have access to a library of books and stories, music, and rhymes introducing early literacy and communication skills
- We promote movement and balance and focus on early wellbeing awareness and relaxation exercises
- Our Toddler room is where our children can thrive as they become more independent and curious
- We feel it is important to offer a range of natural resources and provide plenty of messy play opportunities to encourage learning through creative play
- In our library area we have a selection of age-appropriate reading resources to encourage communication and develop language and literacy skills
- We encourage independence and free thinking by allowing the children to choose and lead activities carefully guided by our practitioners
- We promote physical creativity through music and movement which is key in helping to develop children’s fine motor skills
- Being part of the local community is important and we regularly take part in local events and support local charities
- We continue to promote early wellbeing awareness and relaxation techniques to help our children understand their thoughts and feelings
- Our preschool environment supports ‘school readiness’ through a wide range of quality resources and equipment that promote all areas of the EYFS, including maths and literacy
- We embed maths and literacy into everyday routines providing opportunities for letter and number recognition
- We give encouragement and praise to our children inspiring them to investigate and be curious of the world around them
- We promote an inclusive environment where we take part in a variety of cultural and international celebrations
- We continue to promote messy play in our preschool room sparking children’s creativity and interest in the arts
- We provide smaller group learning opportunities to focus on life skills and preparing the children for their next step into school
- We work on whole body movements to develop large motor skills, co-ordination, balance and strength.
- Our large garden is a real feature where children can wander, climb, splash, and run in our educationally designed outdoor learning area
- Whatever the weather children can enjoy the fresh air by taking shelter in our undercover decking area.
- Our garden is essential for healthy development and wellbeing and our outdoor equipment encourages physical activities and challenges
- Our outdoor space allows children to understand and take risks which helps to build their confidence and eagerness to learn
- Our children are introduced to important life skills and encouraged to try new things through play and exploration, through activities such as role play, water play and investigative play
- We promote a ‘grow your own’ initiative providing spaces in our garden for children to plant their own vegetables, herbs, plants, and flowers
- We use natural materials such as sand and mud in our outdoor mud kitchen to create sensory and role play opportunities.
Hello, I’m Becca! I’m your Nursery Manager at New Barnet, I joined the Family First team in 2021 after having my second child. I have many years of experience in childcare after having first discovered my love for Early Years and Education when in secondary school. However, it was whilst studying for my BA (Hons) degree in “Integrated Working with Children and Families in the Early Years” that I truly began to call myself an advocate for families. I developed a deep interest in how children learn and what we do as practitioners (and families) to enable this. I have worked in various roles including Children’s Centre and Family Support, alongside the NHS and Social Care, and support of private nurseries across a London borough.
I love getting to know the families in our nursery and seeing them develop and grow until they are ready for the next transition in their life!
Hiya, I’m Karen or Kaz – as I like to teach the children! I have been in childcare since I left school and it is still my biggest passion, closely followed by football!
I have worked in many nursery settings throughout my career as well as coaching under 5s football sessions.
I love Early Years and love developing children’s young minds. I particularly love to encourage physical development and get moving with the children. I strongly believe this has a great impact children’s learning and well-being.
I’ll always bring a little crazy and a lot of smiles to make sure your children are happy and comforted at nursery with us.
Hi everyone, my name is Ashelle. I am extremely excited to be working for Head start nursery and meeting everyone. A little background story, I have been working in early years for 8 years. I first started off as an apprentice in a nursery school, studying my level 2 child care course. Not long after, I progressed onto doing my level 3 childcare course. By completing both courses, I was able to progress in my professional role.
With all my knowledge and experience built, I developed into a passionate professional working with children and families. Therefore, this made me want to study further into higher education. I completed both my Foundation degree and BA Hons in youth and child studies in 2019/2022.
Our nursery has a lovely family feel which makes it a wonderful place for your child to grow, learn and play. We have a passionate team, who aim to create something special and different, ensuring all children are nurtured, cared for, and inspired with their individual needs in mind.
We have a dedicated senior team who support the nursery management in striving for delivering excellence by enriching home from home environments with an expertly trained team.
All staff complete comprehensive training, further developing their knowledge and understanding of children’s development, covering all key aspects in keeping children safe.
We can provide advice and support for all our families on a vast range of topics by pulling together our combined experience.
Food & Nutrition
Our delicious, healthy and nutritious food is sourced from trusted suppliers are prepared and cooked by our onsite chef. All dietary and religious needs are met.
Our experienced team would love to meet you and your little one, so book a visit today and we will show you everything our nursery has to offer during your own personal tour at a time to suit you.
Join us at our next Open Day
Saturday 25th June, 9am – 1pm
Call Back Request
If you would like us to give you a call back at a time which is more convenient for you, please fill in the form below.